Ukraine is one of those countries that has made compensated surrogacy legal for every married heterosexual couple (be it local or foreign) within their territories. Still, given Russia’s invasion of Ukraine recently, we would advise you to stay put until the situation comes back to normalcy in this part of the planet.
Meanwhile, you can enhance your knowledge regarding the surrogacy options available in Ukraine by reading this blog till the end. Here, we will take you through some of the key points that may come in handy during your surrogacy journey in the country.
Who are eligible for surrogacy in Ukraine?
Being an intended parent, you first need to prove your inability to conceive via natural means before putting any step further regarding surrogacy in Ukraine. Moreover, your respective physician must confirm the following:
- The intended mother doesn’t have a womb (inborn or acquired).
- Uterine deformation that prevents pregnancy and delivery.
- Synch of the womb cavity, which is incurable.
- Somatic disorders make it dangerous for the woman’s health or life to carry a pregnancy.
- IVF failures (minimum 4) even with excellent-quality embryos.
Every legally married heterosexual couple that comes along with the abovementioned confirmation from their doctor is eligible to go ahead with surrogacy in Ukraine. On the other side, surrogacy for LGBT couples in Ukraine isn’t permissible as per Ukrainian law.
So, being a same-sex couple, you can look forward to other destinations like Cyprus and Georgia to go by your child-seeking aspirations. Moreover, even Surrogacy for single in Ukraine is forbidden given the rules and guidelines of Ukrainian family law.
Understanding the Surrogacy laws in Ukraine
While Ukraine does offer supportive and flexible laws for surrogacy, one must take a detailed understanding of the same in advance. Here, we mention some of the key pointers in regard to surrogacy in Ukraine.
- The Family Code of Ukraine of the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Health of Ukraine governs surrogacy legally in the country.
- The intended parents are considered the legal parents in cases where IVF-created embryos are placed back into the womb of another woman, according to Ukrainian law’s Family Code.
- According to Ukrainian law, the surrogate mother in Ukraine has no rights during the pregnancy and the child belongs to the intended parents. On the Ukrainian birth certificate, the names of the intended parents will be listed right from the start.
- Surrogacy is only available for married heterosexual couples in Ukraine. So, people and individuals looking for surrogacy for LGBT couples in Ukraine need to look elsewhere in order to realize their parenthood dreams
- Moreover, even Surrogacy for single in Ukraine is non-permissible, given the points mentioned in the Family law of Ukraine
How to look for a surrogate mother in Ukraine?
As you proceed with your surrogacy journey in Ukraine, your first challenge would be to find a perfect surrogate match. While this can be a tedious task, getting connected with a trusted and reputed surrogacy agency in Ukraine would come of big help.
The agency will help you in short-listing the best-suited surrogate mother in Ukraine, right according to your needs and expectations. On the other side, it will help you across every related task in the same respect.
Being an intended parent, you must know that a surrogate mother should fulfill the below criterion in order to stay eligible for the surrogacy process in Ukraine.
- She must be aged between 21 to 35 years.
- Must be physically and mentally fit for the role of the surrogate mother.
- Should be willing to go through all the required tests and diagnoses.
- Must have successfully carried a child in the past without any complications.
- Should be ready to help the intended parents in good faith and not for monetary gains.
- Must not come on board with an addiction to any banned or harmful substances.
- Must furnish her family medical history and background when and wherever required.
While random surrogacy agency in Ukraine has their own specific criteria, this would come as a standardized version of the same.
Why deal with a surrogacy agency in Ukraine?
There are many reasons why you must connect with a reputed surrogacy clinic in Ukraine. Firstly, the agency or the clinic will help you to shortlist a suitable surrogate mother in Ukraine. Moreover, they will help you in getting the same surrogate screened and matched according to your requirements.
While the surrogate mother in Ukraine gets prepared for the embryo transfer, the agency gets it all sorted with the help of their partner IVF clinics in Ukraine. So, technically, the surrogacy clinic in Ukraine will provide you with end-to-end support during your surrogacy journey in the country.
Now, as you proceed with your association with the surrogacy agency, you must always take the following considerations in prior:
- Experience and reputation of the surrogate agency
- Availability of legal professionals in their panel
- Available medical facilities and support system
Apart from these, a surrogacy clinic must also ensure that all the needs and requirements are taken care of in the desired manner. Surrogacy in Ukraine is a complicated subject as of now, given the country’s political conflict with neighbors Russia. So, being an intended parent, you must wait for the situation to go normal before putting it a step further. That way, you can always ensure the best for your surrogacy aspirations without falling into any unwanted legal conflict.